Friday, October 25, 2013

Our Common History: The Baumann Family

One of the more interesting of the early families in what today is called Shroyer Park is the Baumann family.
In the neighborhood history, we find the following:
Clement Louis Baumann was born in 1838 in Bavaria, Germany, and arrived in the U.S. in 1848 with his siblings and his father, Thomas, and mother, Constantia. Clement Baumann became a civic leader in Dayton, including stints as mayor in 1868 and 1870. Clement was the President of the Board of Education from 1878 to 1880 and a founder of the Dayton Public Library. The location of the Baumann property is where Firwood Drive and Constantia Avenue exist today. (One has to presume Constantia Avenue derives its name from Clement’s mother.)


So, what else do we know?


Well, Constantia and Firwood were platted from the Clement L. Baumann Estate. Check out this map which shows the platting record for the area:

Former mayor Clement’s picture is on the wall, along with other past mayors, on the second floor of Dayton City Hall:

Clement had two sons, R. Otto and Carl Louis. Carl had two sons by his second wife, Roger and Milton.

Milton went on to become an important person with the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company.

Here he is pictured with Orville Wright and other administrators of the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company:

(Photo Courtesy Wright State University Special Collections and Archives)

Close up on Milton and Orville:

(Photo Courtesy Wright State University Special Collections and Archives)

Here is Milton on an airplane with other employees of the Dayton-Wright Airplane Company:

(Photo Courtesy Wright State University Special Collections and Archives)

Milton and Charles Kettering:

(Photo Courtesy Wright State University Special Collections and Archives)

There is some great information of the family on http://www.geni.com.

This image is provided of Clement:
And the following information is provided:

Arrived in the U.S. in 1848. To celebrate the end of the Civil War, Lincoln declared Apr.14, 1865 a National Day of Thanksgiving & Praise, and Baumann was appointed Chairman of the (big) Bonfire Committee. Was Chief of Police. The first in Dayton to receive a telephone & could call the operator. Dayton Mayor, 1868 & 1870. President, Board of Ed., 1879-80 and a founder of the Dayton Public Library. Added as a member of the Library Bldg, Committee in order to "break a log jam," 1885.

The phone thing is really interesting…could it be that the first possession of a telephone took place in Shroyer Park?

For his son Carl, the following image is provided:


And the following information is supplied:

A founder of the Dayton Bicycle Club and President, 1891-2 at age 23. Won several metals in races, with the large front wheels.
A car enthusiast, an owner of 17 cars, his first in March, 1900, a Haynes Apperson. He owned the first Packard in Dayton. An attorney, practicing over 50 years.
(The source for this data is Winfield Scott Bauman via, again, geni.com)


Clement and his children are buried in Shroyer Park institution Woodland Cemetery.

Constantia and Thomas and the rest of the area’s Baumann family of the time are buried at Calvary Cemetery.


The final resting place for the Baumann family at Calvary is marked with this monument:


The matriarch of northern Shroyer Park, Constantia Baumann:


There is one more item of interest I have found.  From the SouthPark Neighborhood Website is some information about a property that Clement apparently owned at one time.  Here is the description:


------

History:
In 1885 Clement L. Baumann, an attorney and former mayor of Dayton, purchased this lot as an investment, and three years later built this brick cottage. Though a successful lawyer, Baumann was apparently a difficult man; his sons thrice attempted (unsuccessfully) to have him declared insane. Upon his legal separation from his wife, she received 624 Oak as part of the settlement. After her death in 1922, their son Otto Baumann, also an attorney, inherited the house. Tenants during this period included a stenographer, an inspector at NCR, an electrician, a machinist and a laborer at DP&L. While most were German immigrants or their descendants, the 1930 census listed Archibald Grant, an immigrant from Scotland as the resident of 624 Oak.  This house left the Baumann family after Otto’s death in 1935 but continued as a rental property.

Description:
This quaint brick cottage sitting high up on a corner lot owned by a former Dayton Mayor has a spacious great room with tall windows and high ceilings. The large bedroom has plenty of room for a sitting area near one of the front windows. The kitchen has plenty of beautiful cherry cabinets that are highlighted by the natural sunshine brought in by the large windows and back door.

---------

I have not found any other information about Clement’s family attempts to have him “declared insane.”



No comments:

Post a Comment