Tuesday, June 4, 2013

From the Archives: 1931 Cellarus Map, Sheet 86

(click image to enlarge)


This map shows the ownership and parcel division in the area Firwood/Irving/Wilmington.  The subdivided lots on Firwood and Constantia are the result of a plat called the “Clement L. Baumann Estate.”  Who was Clement Baumann?  Here is a passage from the Shroyer Park History page:
Another family with ties to both Shroyer Park and the Dayton mayoral office is the Baumann family.  Clement Louis Baumann was born in 1838 in Bavaria, Germany, and arrived in the U.S. in 1848 with his siblings and his father, Thomas, and mother, Constantia.  Clement Baumann became a civic leader in Dayton, including stints as mayor in 1868 and 1870.  Clement was the President of the Board of Education from 1878 to 1880 and a founder of the Dayton Public Library.  The location of the Baumann property is where Firwood Drive and Constantia Avenue exist today. 

It is not clear to me where exactly the Baumann home was located.  There are a few interesting Baumann finds out there on the internet, including:

This feature on Baumann property in South Park.

This Clement Baumann bio.

Information on the final resting spot for Shroyer’s Baumanns.


The map also shows parts of the vast State of Ohio landholdings, related of course to the State Hospital.  The state property at that point encompassed the area now used by Patterson Little League (along Irving), which apparently Woodland Cemetery later purchased, and the area that is now the Wilmington Place subdivision. It is also interesting to see that the small parcel where Enterprise Roofing exists today, was cut out individually even then.  One wonders how such a small, oddly shaped parcel came to be.  The maps also shows the railroad and the right-of-way that has led to the construction of the Dayton-Kettering bike path. 
Other interesting notes:
  • The map shows a very narrow alley behind the lots that front on Wilmington, just north of Firwood.  That right-of-way does not exist today, and the garage access comes from Wilmington.
  • The map shows a “Colley Av” that connects Wilmington and Irving.  Today “Colley Pl” is a cul-de-sac.
  • The trust of none other than great Daytonian Adam Schantz owned the property that UD now owns between the railroad r.o.w. and Irving Ave.



No comments:

Post a Comment